This course is designed to give the participants an overview of IP Multicast technology by going through two different business models. These are the ASM (Any Source Multicast) and SSM (Source Specific Multicast). All mechanisms associated with these, including PIM-SM, Auto-RP, BSR, Anycast-RP, L2 Multicast and MSDP, will be described. During the training multicast in MPLS networks will be addressed as well.
This course has been developed for those in need of understanding and implementing IP multicast technology in their networks.
Knowledge equivalent to our course TCP / IP is recommended.
This is a two-day training. Presentations and materials will be in English. We can also give this course internally for your company. Contact us to find out how we can help you with customized courses.
Overview of IP Multicast technology
- The ABC of Multicast
- ASM and SSM models
- Where to use IP multicasting?
Multicast addressing and operations in L2
- multicast addresses
- Format of Multicast LAN addresses
- Communication between the host and router
- Limitation of multicast traffic on a LAN
Multicast in a routed network
- Principles of forwarding traffic
- Development of a distribution tree
- Routing protocol options
- Multicast routing table
- Communication between networks
- Multicast vs. unicast topologies
- Test the multicast network
- Protocol Description “under the hood”
- Design of the routing table
- PIM-SM options
- Rendezvouz Point and its selection
- PIM-SM enhancements
Using multicast between autonomous systems
- IP Multicast for Internet
- Mechanisms for the previous
- Multicast Source Discovery Protocol
- Multiprotocol BGP
Multicast in MPLS networks
- Develop the forwarding of MPLS to multicast
- Multicast in MPLS L3 VPN
- Multicast in VPLS networks
- Multicast and QoS